Friday, December 14, 2007

NUMBER THE STARS by Lois Lowry

What kind of books do you read? Do you like mysteries or sad stories? Well even if you hate sad stories this one is so good that you will like it even if you don’t like to read. This book is filled with excitement, mystery and sadness and guess what the sad parts are the best!
Number The Stars is about two best friends, Anna Marie and Ellen. One friend is Jewish and the soldiers are taking over their city. German soldiers are going to hunt down every Jewish family and take them away because for some reason they don’t want them to be there. When they find out that they are going to be tracked by soldiers because they are Jewish, they decide to hide. Anna Marie’s family will find this out and try to help them meanwhile the soldiers are trying to find out where they are. What do you think? Will they find the Rosen’s family and punish them for running away or will they escape and live happily with their family? My favorite part is when the Rosens are trying to help their friends by letting their daughter stay with them. While their friend’s daughter is staying there she pretends that she is their daughter Lisa who soldiers had killed. One night in middle of the night there is a big bang on the door. The two girls wake up and eavesdrop on the parents who were talking to the soldiers. The girls sat up and the soldiers were wondering who the girl with the black hair was because the rest of the family had blonde hair. Will the soldiers take the Ellen away from the Rosens?
Mariana

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this book in fifth grade and I really liked it.The soldiers were scary, too.I also thought Anna Marie's family was nice to the Rosens. I agree with the person who wrote this blog that this book is great! After reading this blog, I want to read this book again!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Ten year old Annemarie Johansen and Ellen Rosen are best friends. They are so much alike yet so different. Ellen was Jewish and the Nazis were coming. Annemarie’s parents hide Ellen’s parents and take Ellen as part of their family. Annemarie is asked to go on a dangerous mission and has to find the courage to save her best friend and her family. Will Annemarie succeed? Read “Number the Stars” to find out!

May 7, 2007 8:59 am

East West Kids said...

How would you react if soldiers came to your house? I would be scared. I think the book Number the Stars by Lois Lowry is a good book, but at the same time a sad one.
In the book, ten year old Ellen faces many dangers because she is Jewish during World War II. Annemarie’s family is hiding Ellen to protect her. My favorite part because it has the most action, is when Ellen disguises herself as Annamarie’s dead sister. When the soldiers come and search for Ellen, she pretends she is Annamarie’s sister who was not Jewish. One of the soldiers spots Ellen’s dark hair and is suspicious because Annamarie’s family has blond hair. Annamarie’s mom shows the soldiers Annamarie’s dead sister’s family picture because she had dark hair too. The soldiers believe her and leave. Will the soldiers catch Ellen or will she survive the war?
Mathew

December 10, 2007 1:36pm

Anonymous said...

I love this book! I was reading it when I was learning about World War 2. It thought me a lot! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Anonymous said...

I also read this book in 5th grade and it is astounding I loved it. It is very suspensful and keeps me onj my toes. I'm sure you liked it as much as did.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mariana! I read your blog and it sounds very interesting! Some students also said that it was a pretty good story. I'll try reading the book sometime! Thanks for the blog! =]

Jasmine

Anonymous said...

I read this book in fifth grade and I thought it was an amazing story of family, friendship, and overcoming your fears. I liked the part when Annemarie's uncle used the special hankerchief to fool the dogs. It was sad when she found out her sister was killed by Nazis and Peter was shot.This is a great read and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoies WWII novels.

Tim

Anonymous said...

I also read this book in 5th grade! It is really a great book, but a sad book too. The sad part in the book is when Annemarie's sister died by the Nazis and Peter was shot. I'm sure you enjoyed it as much as I did. I also reccomend this book to anyone that enjoys reading about religion.

Amanda,