Monday, December 17, 2007

WHITE FANG by Jack London

In the cold cruel Northland our character, White Fang, a wolf, faces death at every corner. Shortly after he is born, his father is killed by a lynx. The litter begins to starve, and White Fang would be the only one to survive. He soon discoveries that in the wild only the strong survive, and the weak become pray to them.
My favorite part is when White Fang is forced into a dog fight by his owner against a giant bull-dog. White Fang has never fought a dog like this, so he isn’t sure what it does or how it fights. White Fang is fast and strong, and quickly dives in and out, biting and ripping at the bull-dog. The bull-dog is oblivious to the blows, simply allowing White Fang to slash him, but always following him, waiting for him to make a mistake. The bull-dog constantly keeps his jaw low to protect his throat and he is to sturdy for White Fang to knock him over. Finally, White Fang tries again to knock him over but he hits the other dog with his own shoulder and is knocked to the ground. White Fang is quickly on his feet again but by then the bull-dog had gotten a grip on his throat. The bite was in a bad spot, being to low from the soft spot on the throat but the dog hung on. White Fang twists and turns, trying to shake the massive dog, but it hangs on, slowing inching closer to the lethal spot on White Fangs throat. Finally, after several minutes of struggling, White Fang is finally exhausted and drops down.
I liked the book but it definitely wasn't my favorite. There were a few interesting parts that were different and exciting but besides from those it seemed that the story was very repetitive, often stating the same thing over and over again.
Peter

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The book sounded very exciting and I've been wanting to read it. The part when White Fang fights the bull dog sounds like a gripping part. Also, I like wolves, so I can't wait until I read this book and hope to enjoy it as much as you did.

Alexander

Anonymous said...

The part when White Fang fights the bulldog sounds cool and I wonder who wins the fight.I like how you describe the fight. This book sounds cool becuase White Fang faces death at every corner.

Axel

Anonymous said...

Hey! I read the short version 2 times and it was FANTASTIC! I hope you enjoyed it,too!

Jasmine

Anonymous said...

Peter that dog gets in way to much fights but it is still a awesome book. The dog is such a fighter with his claws and teeth but he fights for a reason which makes it better.

Written Alex

Anonymous said...

The book sounds very interesting. I like where White Fang fights the bulldog. You never know what will happen. I didn't read the book but I will.

by Brian

Anonymous said...

This book sounds very interesting. I can't wait to read it. The part when White Fang fights the bull dog sounds very exciting. I also read the short version a while ago but I forgot what half of it is about.Now I can't wait to read the longer version.

Jael